Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Matt's Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (SECRET RECIPE!)


There are still a few posts to go in my Nashville series, but it wouldn't be complete without at least one recipe - and since I showed up for our girly weekend bearing these dark, handsome treats, they're the perfect choice. Rich, fudgy, chewy, and indulgent, these gorgeous double chocolate cookies have a secret - they were baked by Matt, according to his super-secret and fool-proof recipe (which I will now share)!

It's a little known fact that Matt is an amazing baker. His favorite, deeply-flavored cookies always turn out perfectly chewy, with a just-right smattering of melted chocolate chips. I think the secret to Matt's cookie-whispering skill is his fastidious care in measuring, but it also helps that he has a go-to recipe that he follows religiously.

Matt is much more meticulous and exacting than I (no surprises, there!), with an unfathomable (to me, anyway) capacity to follow a recipe to the letter and turn out excellent goodies everysingletime. He sent these cookies to a friend in Afghanistan and she still raves about them - with good reason. She even once threatened to deploy again just to get her hands on a batch (and if that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is!).

Before you all protest that I'm about to reveal Matt's baking secrets, I did ask him for permission ahead of time and even offered the opportunity to do a guest post. He's happy to stay out of the limelight for now, but agreed that I could share his recipe in his stead. He even maintains that there's no secret - he just adds cocoa and cuts flour from his go-to Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe - but I'm sure when you taste them, you'll agree with me that there's something magical about these cookies!


Matt's Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes about 4 dozen cookies

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened, Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened (he uses salted!)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Set aside. Beat together butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and creamy. Add vanilla and eggs; mix well. Stir in dry ingredients gradually, until well incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips by hand.

Drop by heaped teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 8-10 minutes, or until tops appear set (watch carefully since the cocoa in the dough makes it difficult to test for doneness). Cool slightly on cookie sheet, before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Delicious served warm or cold, and absolutely heavenly with a glass of milk!


A few notes: The rich flavor of these cookies only intensifies a day or two after baking - if you can keep your hands off them for that long. These cookies are best made with dark chocolate chips, but if semi-sweet is all you have on hand, they'll still be wonderfully tasty. Matt always uses salted butter, which I think is a nice counterpoint to the creamy richness of the cocoa, but you could easily substitute unsalted, and if you prefer an even darker cookie, increase cocoa to 1/3 cup.


This post is linked at:
Delightfully Dowling: Mangia Mondays
Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms: Melt in Your Mouth Monday
33 Shades of Green: Tasty Tuesdays
Blessed with Grace: Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Lady Behind the Curtain: Cast Party Wednesday
Something Swanky: Sweet Treats Thursday
Miz Helen's Country Cottage: Full Plate Thursday
This Chick Cooks: These Chicks Cooked
Simply Sweet Home: Friday Favorites
Sweet as Sugar Cookies: Sweets for a Saturday

12 comments:

  1. i'm going to try these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at double chocolate. I'm not sure I could stand leave any to test the two day flavor theory though.....they just look too good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum. This just might be my new favorite cookie. Come over and visit us. We have a wonderful sorbet recipe today. Perfect for the hot weather we are all having.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love double chocolate chip cookies Yours look wonderful!

    I'd love for you to stop by for my Friday Favorites party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the lovely comments! These really are delicious, but I can't take any credit - it's all Matthew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rachel,
    What a great cookie and I can't wait to make it. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon. Hope you are having a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up!! These look awesome :)

    Ashton
    www.somethingswanky.com
    {Sweet Treats Thursday}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank You So MUCH for joining me last week for Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will come back tomorrow and share more of your recipes with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, love me some chocolate. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chocolate, chocolate cookies are my favorite. These look excellent.

    ReplyDelete