Friday, January 20, 2012

The Best Frosting the Pioneer Woman's Ever Had

In case you haven't noticed, I've been doing a lot of veggie posts lately. It was part of my New Year's resolution for the blog, but also for myself. I so often forget to photograph the less 'exciting' foods I prepare (i.e. anything that's not a dessert!) in my rush to get things on the table, so I'm making a concerted effort to feature a few things won't send you into sugar-shock. But, in case you were worried that this was goodbye to all things carb-laden and delicious, I thought I'd give you a little surprise. I'm sharing a great frosting recipe with you today - but that's just the tip of the iceberg, because next week we'll get to put this frosting to work during an entire week of Valentine-themed cookies!


I'm kicking myself for not have photos of the finished icing before tinting and decorating - but here's a foretaste of what's to come next week!

I know it's still January, but blogland is already decked out in red-and-pink and, really, I don't ever need much of an excuse to make cookies. If you're not feeling cupid's arrow this year, don't worry - I won't tell if you don't use a single drop of red food coloring or make all your cookies heart-shaped. Just make sure you whip up a batch of this frosting and come back next week for some COOKIES!

Now, about the frosting - and its unusual title. I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but this recipe is everywhere and from what I can tell, it was popularized by the Pioneer Woman. I'm going to make an admission (which might get me thrown out of food-blogger-land) and tell you that this is my first ever Pioneer woman recipe! Still, even she found the recipe elsewhere, and it's been around for a lot, lot longer than food blogging. It's usually called a 'roux' frosting, because it's built on a base of hot milk and flour...yes, flour. Don't let that deter you (it's the magic, secret ingredient!) This recipe makes an airy, whipped-cream like frosting which is less sweet than traditional confectioners sugar icings.

Since it even tastes like you've used whipped cream, the frosting is also called Mock Whipped Cream Frosting, or Poor Man's Whipped Cream Frosting. But how appetizing does that sound? Instead, I think we'll call it...

I stiffened the frosting with a bit of confectioners sugar to help it 'set' for cookies, but it's perfect for cakes and cupcakes as-is

Recession-Proof Whipped Cream Frosting (or Secret Ingredient Frosting!)

5 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup salted butter (the original recipe doesn't specify salted, but I recommend it!)
1 cup granulated sugar

In a medium saucepan, whisk flour into the milk and stir constantly, over medium heat, until the mixture thickens (the mixture should be very thick - thicker than cake batter - but not lumpy, so keep whisking!). Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.

While the milk mixture is cooling, cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat until sugar is completely incorporated and the mixture is light and fluffy. Stir vanilla into the cooled milk mixture. Add mixture to the butter and sugar, and beat thoroughly (I used my whip attachment on my mixer). Don't under-beat - if the mixture appears separated, keep going! Eventually, it should resemble whipped cream (and taste utterly divine!!). Keep refrigerated until just before you're ready to serve and refrigerate any leftover icing.

A few notes: Be sure to use cool ingredients and allow your milk mixture to cool completely before mixing - I can't stress that enough. My frosting came out a little runny because I wasn't patient (that, and the Pioneer Woman's instructions spooked me into under-whipping the final product) - so learn from my mistakes! You can find better, step-by-step pictures on The Pioneer Woman, and better instructions here (this is the recipe the Pioneer Woman used, so she deserves the credit!), but all of these recipes will produce an amazingly delicious frosting. You won't believe it has flour in it - and neither will anyone else! This makes a great frosting for a dark chocolate cake or a good, fluffy filling for sandwich cookies. Or, of course, you could just eat it right out of the bowl....I won't tell.

This post has been shared at:
Add a Pinch: Mingle Monday - Mrs. Happy Homemaker: Makin' You Crave Monday - Clairejustineoxox: Creative Monday - Flour Me With Love: Mix it up Monday - Craft-O-Maniac: Craftomaniac Monday - Making the World Cuter: Making the World Cuter Monday - Things that make you say: "Mmmmm"!: Monday Link Party - Skip To My Lou: Made By You Monday - The Southern Institute: Creative ME Monday - The Girl Creative: Just Something I Whipped Up - 33 Shades of Green: Tasty Tuesdays - Today's Creative Blog: Get Your Craft On Tuesday - Reasons To Skip the Housework: Tuesday Time Out - A Bowl Full of Lemons: One Project at a Time - I'm Topsy Turvy: Topsy Turvy Tuesdays - Hope Studios: Tutorial Tuesday - Ginger Snap Crafts: Wow Me Wednesday -  Clean & Scentsible: The Creative Spark - Oopsey Daisy: Wednesday's Wowzers - Literally Inspired: What You Talkin' Bout Wednesday - My Girlish Whims: Your Whims Wednesday - Southern Lovely: Show & Share - Blue Cricket Design: Show and Tell - Organize & Decorate Everything - Seven Thirty Three: Sugar & Spice - Thirty Handmade Days: Pity Party Friday - It's a Hodgepodge Life: It's a Hodgepodge Friday - French Country Cottage: Feathered Nest Friday - Sassy Sites: Free For All Friday - Creation Corner: Friday Link Party - Sweet as Sugar Cookies: Sweets for a Saturday - Six Sisters' Stuff: Strut Your Stuff Saturday - Homemaker in Heels: Weekend Craft Soiree & Blog Hop - Gingerbread: Sweet Saturday - Too Much Time on My Hands: Get Schooled Saturday - Toys In The Dryer: Fun Stuff Fridays

Pin It

27 comments:

  1. that is such a lovely color, love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - as much as I should probably hate food coloring (because it's bad for us, of course), it's sooooo much fun!

      Delete
  2. Oh those look yummy! I have a serious frosting addiction....
    I'm afraid to make this, I might not be able to stop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to try this frosting! Your cookies look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I were to make this for my family (my son has a cow's milk allergy) I'd need to use goat's milk and Smart Balance or Earth Balance for the butter. I'm wondering if these substitutions will work, especially the butter substitutions. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The goat's milk would be fine but I'm not sure about the butter substitutions. I think I read one or two reviews on the Tasty Kitchen version (which I provided as a link) that mentioned that using margarine changed the final texture. I'd imagine the same would be true with Smart Balance or Earth Balance. I'm sure it would still taste good, but you might have to add more flour or sugar (perhaps powdered sugar) to stiffen it up. But...if you get your butter substitute really, really cold beforehand (and keep the frosting as cold as possible) it just might work....

      You'll have to let me know if you try it!!

      Delete
  5. Too funny - I just posted this frosting recipe today! It is the best frosting! I love how you made yours pink and those cookies are gorgeous. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's crazy - I guess we think alike! But really, it *is* amazing frosting :)

      Delete
  6. I have this recipe for icing, so good my mother has made it for years. Humid weather can affect how it comes out also. Love pioneer woman I have some post of hers. Cookies are so pretty.....Andi thewednesdaybaker

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing. I love Pioneer Woman and she has so many amazing recipes..I use a lot of her stuff at home, check out my blog and you will find some yummy recipes their! I love sweets and i make them all the time, at least 3x a day. Although I need to get back on track with trying new sweets because I never have the ingredients and almost always end up making the same thing..chocolate chip cookies. Come check out my blog and see what I've created! I'm your newest follower and I'd love it if you followed me back~@bridgetbakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - my husband would LOVE it if I made chocolate chip cookies every time! I'm heading on over to your blog...

      Delete
  8. I made a late batch of sugar cookies (missed them pre-Christmas), but don't have frosting. I'm definitely going to give this a go! Awesome that I already have all the ingredients too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so sweet,love them ,Thanks for joining us at Creative Mondays :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me at frosting! Yum! Can't wait to try this. Pioneer woman recipes usually are a few too many ingredients or steps, but your words and encouragement have pushed to try it. Thanks! So excited to try this recipe!
    Have a happy week!
    Tausha
    sassystyleredesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to try this frosting and I'm looking forward to what's coming next week!! Thanks for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday. We would love to have you back!!!
    -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, this is our favorite frosting recipe and I've never thought about putting it on cookies!!! I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday, I hope to see you next week too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, what an awesome way to make frosting. Those cookies are Valentine's cuties. You made the top 5 for this week's Sweets for a Saturday. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for linking up @ Things That Make You Say Mmmmm- your recipe will be one of the featured today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Travel without fear wherever you want to go -- to China, Thailand, Indonesia, Turkey.
    Flights to Cape Town
    Cheap Flights to Cape Town
    Cheap Air Tickets to Cape Town

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are many reputable travel agencies that can help give the best cheap flights. They have an array of travel deals that are fit for travelers who are on a budget. There are also services that can be availed in order to get the perfect personal experience. They have a quick flight booking service too.

    jet rentals

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just made this frosting. All I can say is OMG! I think that this is the same frosting that my mother made for my birthdays when I was a child. She was an excellent home cook and baker. She is gone now. I don't know why I never asked her for the recipe? Today I am celebrating my 70th birthday. So, I saw your post and decided to try it. My mom used to make a chocolaté layer cake with a white frosting and chocolaté sprinkles.....You brought back a sweet childhood memory. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike other blogs I have read which are really not that good.Thanks alot! Wholesale cream chargers

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great article. I love your work. Will be reading your other posts. Thanks.
    Mr Cream

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really loved reading your blog Its Interesting jojoclean

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. jojo

    ReplyDelete