Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Pineapple Coconut Macaroons

Okay folks, I still have a few Chicago posts to go, but I know I've been making you wait a long, long time for a recipe so I thought I'd share these little summery gems. I actually made these coconut cookies weeks ago, back when I was still wishing for heat and sunshine, but now that summer is here they're even more appropriate.


I seem to go through a coconut phase every summer - there's something so refreshing about that tropical flavor - and this particular treat came to me from David Lebovitz, by way of Baking Obsession. Their versions look crisp and delicious, but mine are a little different. With less added sugar and more pineapple, they're softer, with more of the flavor of summer and a little less over-the-top sweetness. That being said, they're plenty sweet - try them and you'll see!


Before the recipe, though, a word about macaroons. In recent years, French macarons have taken over the blog world. Those elegant, technique-heavy treats are certainly lovely, but these are not those macarons - they're stick-to-your-fingers, sugar-shock, coconutty macaroons, a great dessert in their own right, with no pretensions to being anything other than utterly delicious. If you're in need of a naptime/lunch break tropical escape, these should do the trick!


Pineapple Coconut Macaroons
adapted from Baking Obsession

1 can crushed pineapple (about 15 ounces)
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking liner. In a non-stick, medium saucepan, heat pineapple (with juice) and sugar over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated. Heat further, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes gummy and pineapple begins to brown (you're looking for something of a marmalade consistency). This may take some time - about 20 minutes or so. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before proceeding.


In a mixing bowl, combine the cooled pineapple with the shredded coconut. Stir in egg whites and vanilla until well blended (mixture may become quite fluid after the addition of egg whites - don't worry, this is normal!). Using your fingers, form the mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the cookies appear set and the coconut is nicely browned. Cool cookies completely on the baking sheet or a clean countertop. These cookies are delicious warm or cold. Store in an airtight container and indulge whenever you need a mini tropical escape.
Pin It
This post has been shared at:

5 comments:

  1. Pineapple and coconut work so well together! I love tropical flavors during this time of year.

    xx
    Quiet Luxury

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the addition of pineapple, I've only had the plain coconut ones.

    I'm hosting a giveaway over at my blog and would love for you to stop by and participate.

    http://www.myhobbielobbie.com/2012/05/my-200th-blog-post-and-my-1st-ever.html

    Looking forward to seeing you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make coconut macaroons all the time. I love that these have pineapple in them. I'd love for you to share these at Whatcha’ Whipped Up .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our dad LOVES macaroons! These will be a perfect little father's day treat for him! Thanks for linking up with us on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday!" We hope to see you next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  5. This wonderful recipe is being featured for our very first week of Recipe Box. Stop by Wednesday and see who you are sharing the spotlight with and please bring more food for those of us who are hungry for deliciousness.

    This is my first time, seeing a pineapple macaroon and I can almost taste it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete